Phase 5 of the window replacement project is now complete at Virgo Fidelis Convent School which focused on the rear elevation of this beautiful building. Clement's EB24 window range with Georgian welded on bars and Fenestra joints, clear glass with concealed multi point locking was chosen.
Virgo Fidelis Convent School was founded in 1848 to offer a place of refuge and education to Catholic orphans.
The beautiful gothic style, club head windows with feature tear drops are undoubtedly a main feature of the building. The original single-glazed windows were made from cast iron, offering very poor thermal performance and minimal security. After 100 years the time had come to replace them.
Project managers Synergy Construction & Property Consultants were seeking a window system that could not only replicate the original design but would also meet modern performance criteria. Clements EB24 window range met these requirements.
The glass used for the windows not only had to replicate the existing complex templates but also had to be thermally efficient. In order to achieve this, 24mm double glazed units were used for the majority of the replacement windows. Silicone fronting was selected to replicate the putty fronting of the original windows.
Due to the nature of the original casting process, every window frame was exactly the same size (as they had all been made from the same mould). However, removal of the old, and fitting of the new windows proved to be quite a test. When the original windows had been installed, the stone surrounds had been close- fitted around them, resulting in quite a task when it came to removal. Every window had to be cut out and removed piece by piece so as not to damage any of the original handsome façade.
EB24 windows are manufactured from hot rolled steel window sections which are produced entirely from re-cycled material in compliance with BS 6510.