Sandown Park Racecourse, Esher, Surrey
Type of works: design, manufacture and installation of covered area canopy for spectators.
Sandown Park Racecourse is located in Esher in Surrey. The thoroughly modern venue has a long and distinguished past; founded in 1875, it has been a key player in racings history.
As part of a multi-million pound refurbishment program to the Parade Ring, J & J Carter was tasked with designing, manufacturing and installing a canopy to part of the stand area to increase the amount of covered areas for spectators surrounding the track.
It was part of the brief that the canopy provided the flexibility to be replaced sectionally as and when required. The design needed to be striking enough to bring the racecourse up-to-date with its reputation as one of the UKs leading racing venues.
The structure was built as a 96m long and 13m span multi-bay conic-shaped canopy; each canopy module is sectional so that easy replacements could be performed without having to replace the entire canopy. It gives the appearance of being a single canopy, however it is made up of eight identical membranes.
The striking appearance of the canopies has given the racecourse a distinctive image suited to its standing in the racing community.
A spokesperson for Sandown Park Racecourse said: The canopies have modernised and improved the appearance of the racecourse. As well as providing adequate coverage for our spectactors in all types of weather, the floodlit canopies have made the area multi-purpose as we are able to use it in the evenings.