Contour Heating Products Ltd
Central to Contour’s product offer is a specialist range of heating solutions designed and engineered to minimise the risk of self-harm and for installation in secure environments, such as mental health facilities, prisons, custody and remand units.
Removing potential tamper opportunities and ligature points in locations such as these, are key considerations.
The December 2012 Ministry of Justice report, “Safety in Custody”, states that 9 in 10 prison suicides are as a result of hanging. A vulnerable service user with time to study an environment for tamper opportunities, can identify a ligature point secure enough to self-harm or commit suicide. As death from hanging can often occur even when an individual is not fully suspended, reducing the risk of potential ligature points at all heights is of critical importance. Therefore the thorough floor to ceiling assessment of a hospital ward or prison cell for ligature points, should include all fixtures and fittings. Grilles and exposed thermostatic valves on radiators and guards require specific scrutiny.
The DeepClean anti-ligature radiator from Contour has been reverse engineered in collaboration with partners through the Healthcare, Education and Ministry of Justice sectors to highlight and remove potential tamper opportunities.
NEW DeepClean IP3x anti-ligature guard grille design – meets and exceeds IP3x test standards
In order to minimize the risk of self-harm, Contour’s latest anti-ligature radiators make use of a grille design incorporating 2mm holes at 4mm centres, punched directly into the radiator guard. This has been tested to IP3x standards (BS EN 60529) by a UKAS accredited laboratory, and is certified to protect against the ingress of objects greater than 2.5mm in diameter.
The new design means that Contour is well placed to meet the needs of UK prisons and secure custodial facilities. The Home Office Police Buildings Design Guide – Custody, July 2009, section PD3.02.14, details that grilles unless otherwise specified, should be perforated with 2mm diameter holes at 4mm centres, in a triangular pitch formation.
The Certificate of IP3x Test Conformance can be viewed here.
Datasheets for our DeepClean IP3x compliant anti-ligature radiators can be found below
DeepClean IP3x Anti-ligature Gradient Top Floor Mounted Radiator.pdf
DeepClean IP3x Anti-ligature Gradient Top Wall Mounted Radiator.pdf
DeepClean IP3x Anti-ligature Square Top Floor Mounted Radiator.pdf
DeepClean IP3x Anti-ligature Square Top Wall Mounted Radiator.pdf
In addition to the new radiator guard grille construction and formation, security features that service providers throughout the UK are benefiting from, include:
• A tapered, precision engineered, thermostatic radiator valve shroud which reduces the opportunity for the TRV to be used as an anchor point
• All wall and floor fixing points are located internally to protect against non-permitted access, removal or manipulation
• An array of security fastenings which include Pin Hex and key locks can be used to ensure fast and simple access for staff but prevent unwanted opening by service users
• For wall mounted anti-ligature radiators, anti-ligature base plates can be securely fixed to the base of a unit
• 1.5mm Mild Steel construction ensures robust performance in the most demanding of environments
• Radius edges and bullnose corners protect in the event of a slip or fall, and prevent an anti-ligature radiator being used to self-harm
For more information or to arrange for a quotation call +44(0)1952 290498 or contact email@example.com .
The grille design in the guards of these anti-ligature radiators, can inhibit the convection process. Therefore Contour cannot guarantee that the casing will not exceed a surface temperature of 43°C and should not be treated as Low Surface Temperature compliant.