Drainage and Water Management
With one of the largest drainage and water management product ranges in the UK and Ireland, FP McCann have become first choice for architects, developers and building contractors.
The benefits of drainage and water management may be measured through a variety of elements. It has the versatility to meet project challenges head-on and can easily handle heavy duty applications, detailed streetscape designs and sympathetic conservation schemes. In addition, advantages include excellent physical performance, pleasing aesthetic appearance, reconstitution abilities and overall life-long cost-effectiveness.
Within FP McCann Drainage & Water Management Solutions you will find:
• Manhole chambers & soakaways
• Gullies & slabs
• Kerbs and channel range
• Storm Attenuation Systems
8 Reasons why you should use concrete drainage
1. Sustainability - Concrete pipes outperform other types of pipeline solutions in a number of the environmental impact categories such as human toxicity levels and chemical / hazardous waste generated. The CO2 emissions from concrete and cement production are relatively small compared to other building materials. Some 95 to 99% of ingredients used in the production of concrete pipes are sourced locally, so a considerable positive impact on the carbon footprint and fuel consumption associated with transporting these materials can be achieved.
2. Strength - Concrete is much more durable than any other kind of pipe. Hence, it can carry more load at any given time and gains strength over time. It cannot be weakened by heat, moisture, mould or pests, nor will it rust. Underground concrete pipes have the ability to resist chemical attacks and massive impacts such as jetting, so blockages will be cleared easily.
3. Quality - FP McCann’s concrete pipes are manufactured in accordance with BS EN 1916 and BS 5911 and certified by Quality Assessment under the Kitemark Scheme and ISO 9001.
4. Whole Life Value - Due to the amazing structural properties and functional benefits, precast concrete pipes tend to attract lower insurance premiums than those built from other construction materials. The natural strength of precast concrete pipes enables recycled aggregate to be used as a bedding material, significantly reducing installation costs and the elimination of waste disposal costs.
5. Fire-resistance - Being naturally fire-resistant, concrete forms a highly effective barrier to fire spread and it does not emit any toxic fumes when affected by fire. It will not produce smoke or drip molten particles. Therefore, in the majority of applications, concrete can be described as virtually ‘fireproof’. Concrete’s inbuilt fire resistance not only maintains an airtight construction that stops smoke spreading, but also has the ability to maintain the pipe’s strength during a fire.
6. Bedding Performance - The superior strength of concrete pipes enables recycled aggregate to be used as a bedding material, reducing costs and environmental impact during installation. Since a full trench depth of granular material can actually be more expensive than the pipe, significant pipe bedding savings can be achieved when using a concrete pipe instead. FP McCann can advise on the optimum soil and ground conditions from geotechnical reports, to establish when this sustainable and cost-efficient solution can be deployed.
7. Chemical Resistance - FP McCann’s precast concrete pipes have the ability to resist chemical attacks such as oil and fuel spills and will not leach out any harmful chemicals when in use. This means it is safe to use in applications such as the distribution of drinking water.
8. Thermal mass and operational energy efficiency - Heavyweight materials such as concrete provide a high level of thermal mass, a useful property which helps regulate the temperature within structures. It also has good acoustic properties, which avoids the need for acoustic insulation for pipes.