SIG Design & Technology looks at the importance of roofer training and why architects and clients should ensure that the roofing installers that work on their project are properly trained and certified to install roofing systems.
Reliable, Experienced Roofing Contractors
Flat roofs are a key part of the built environment with a market of over 20 million m2 per year*. Roofing contractors are highly skilled individuals, with a critical role in the success of your project, both aesthetically and in terms of performance.
Roofer training is essential to a good installation. Flat roofing has evolved considerably over the last 20 years with an ever-expanding range of products in the marketplace.
A well-trained roofing contractor will not only be familiar with the application methodologies of the products they are working with and familiar with good practice for those products. They will also be aware of the importance of how the products and accessories interface with other building elements, and have an understanding of the regulatory requirements, U Values, wind uplift calculations and the importance of compliance with the applicable standards, codes of practice and regulations
Benefits to Architects of a Trained Roofer
To an architect, a trained and experienced roofing contractor will enable:
1. Good practice in Health and Safety, both with the products and on the roof;
2. Good quality workmanship, both functionally and aesthetically;
3. Good practice methodology with the products involved, on the particular scenario the project requires;
4. Inspection of their work by the appropriate field technicians, and a willingness to ask for support when issues arise;
5. The issuing of manufacturer warranties which give your client peace of mind.
Why SIG Design & Technology has a Roofing Academy
The SIG Design & Technology Roofing Academy is a key part of their relationship with roofing contractors. It ensures that contractors understand SIG products and can install them intelligently, first time and every time.
SIG’s DATAC accredited contractors have an on-going relationship with SIG products and are provided them with continual training and support to build that relationship. This produces the best possible outcomes for the contractor and specifier clients.
The use of Reliable, Experienced Roofing Contractors is step 5 in SIG’s 8 Steps to the Perfect Roof, an holistic approach which ensures long, reliable, genuine guarantees. This approach enables SIG to manage product selection, the design process, the site process and monitor the roofing installations.
DATAC Accredited Contractor Scheme
Only DATAC contractors can install roofing systems that have been designed, supplied and guaranteed by SIG Design and Technology. When you specify SIG D&T products and involve D&T in the design of your flat roofing, not only do you get access to all the benefits of their independent product advice, design service and regulatory conformity, you also get access to the DATAC contractor service.
What are the Benefits of SIG Training for Roofers?
DATAC accredited roofers, trained in SIG’s roofing academy, receive many benefits, including the following:
• An understand of the ever-expanding range of products;
• Access to products and projects as an accredited contractor;
• Access to SPRA and manufacturer approved, product specific training;
• Hands on practical time as well as demonstrations;
• Product specific installer cards to demonstrate their certification;
• Experience with detailing during their training;
• Awareness of the design and compliance service D&T provides;
• Awareness of the risks of mixing and matching products;
• Access to the DATAC inspection service of qualified field technicians;
• The confidence of getting their work warranted;
• A Bid Support Pack for larger projects; and
• A cost-effective way of growing their business.
The DATAC scheme also recognises Federation of Traditional Metal Roofing Contractors (FTMRC) members’ hard metal training.
The SIG Roofing Academy
SIG Design and Technology offer product specific training courses in both membrane and liquid application at their training academy in Shepshed. Recently, they expanded their roofer training service to Huddersfield and High Wycombe to make access even easier.
Last year SIG D&T ran in excess of 100 courses with over 420 individuals attending. The number of attendees on each course is limited to ensure that each and every individual has sufficient time to demonstrate their ability and to ask questions of both a general and project specific nature.
Download the SIG 'Training Academy for Installers of Roofing Systems' brochure
*Flat Roofing Market Report – UK 2013-2017 Analysis, AMA research