Surface Water Flow Controls
ACOs range of flow control systems are designed to regulate stormwater flow before it discharges into the water course or sewer networks. ACO Q-Brake Vortex flow controls and ACO Q-Plate orifice plates are capable of regulating any flow for surface water applications and can be used in conjunction with retention and attenuation systems, such as ACO StormBrixx, as an integrated sustainable urban drainage (SuDS) scheme.
ACO Q-Brake Vortex
ACO Q-Brake Vortex is a horizontal vortex flow control designed to regulate stormwater flows from 1-100 litres per second. Manufactured from grade 304 stainless steel, each ACO Q-Brake Vortex is individually configured to suit specific performance criteria. Unlike more conventional methods e.g. orifice plates or sized pipework, ACO Q-Brake Vortex is less prone to blockage and permits higher flow at a lower head of water, as a vortex flow control allows an outlet orifice 4-6 times larger in cross sectional area to be used.
ACO Q-Brake Vortex utilises the upstream head and discharge to generate a vortex within the structure of the unit. The water is then release at a pre-determined controlled rate preventing downstream flooding. ACO Q-Brake Vortex can form part of the design of any integrated drainage scheme for a wide range of infrastructure, industrial and other SuDS applications.
Key features and benefits
- Where a discharge restriction is in place, ACO Q-Brake Vortex regulates the surface water flow to the specified rate
- Tailored performance
- Water Authority Approval - ACO Q-Brake Vortex has been approved for use by a number of water authority approval boards including Severn Trent, Anglian, Scottish Water
- Proven performance - manufactured and independently laboratory tested to verified discharge rates
- Simplified maintenance and access - large clear openings making the unit less prone to blockage and patented bypass door and emergency drain down facility allows unit to be remotely accessed from the surface.
- Reduces total installed cost - More flow at lower heads reduces the need for on-site storage volume requirements
- Ease of installation - Each unit is custom built to suit the profile of the chamber. Radius fixing options remove the need for additional benching simplifying installation and reducing cost.
ACO Q-Plate orifice plates are designed for use where an ACO Q-Brake vortex is not the most effective solution. To suit application requirements, the range is available with or without remote bypass and drain down and is designed to match a variety on manhole configurations. A neoprene sealing gasket and fixing holes are featured on each unit.