Aggregate Industries has launched its sustainability strategy – Building Progress for a Sustainable Future. The new strategy sets out the business’ vision to become the UK leader of innovative and sustainable building solutions and its ambition to embed sustainability in the future of construction.
Building on significant progress made by the building materials supplier to date, Building Progress for a Sustainable Future brings together former management plans and policies into a more holistic and ambitious strategy set to transform the business to 2030.
Central to its business strategy and corporate vision, the blueprint focuses on five key pillars that are aligned to its business operations: climate, people and communities, nature and environment, circular economy and sustainable solutions.
Against each pillar, Aggregate Industries has identified key areas of focus, alongside specific performance targets to be achieved by 2025. The business has committed to reviewing these targets annually.
● Net CO2 emissions: down to 500 Kg CO2 net/t cementitious
● Downstream transport CO2 reduced by 5%
● 100% zero carbon electricity
● Climate resilience risk assessments at 100%
● Health & safety culture maturity to be ‘proactive’ or ‘generative’
● Improve Lost Time Injury Frequency Rate by 25%
● 200 new opportunities for apprenticeships
● 33% female leaders, and 30% overall female representation in the business
● All high-risk suppliers assessed via code of conduct
● Positively impact 50,000 people in local communities
● Culture of community service and 3,000 volunteer hours per annum
● £50,000 per annum fundraising target
● All major sites to have a community engagement plan
Nature and environment
● Reduce freshwater withdrawal intensity by 30% for cement and 12.5% for aggregates
● 100% of water discharged to meet environmental quality standards
● 100% of quarries to have biodiversity plans
● 200 sites to have a ‘place for nature’
● Establish a biodiversity baseline following the Biodiversity Indicator Reporting System (BIRS) for all managed land for cement and aggregates sites by 2024
● Increase use of recycled materials from 1.5m to 3m tonnes
● Reduce waste to landfill to zero
● Embed a circularity collaboration action network
● Deliver reporting tool to provide accurate carbon information
● 25% of revenue from green products and solutions
● Expand our portfolio of sustainable products and solutions
To read the Sustainability strategy in full, visit the website: https://www.aggregate.com/sustainability