Pallet Racking is an essential part of any storage facility including warehouses, distribution centres and manufacturing facilities. A pallet racking system will maximise storage space by making the most of the space by allowing the pallets to be stored horizontally and on multiple levels effectively and safely.
For every successful warehouse which operates effectively lies a well thought-out racking system with good initial planning of storage and logistics.
If you are thinking about implementing a racking system there are a few things you should first take into consideration:
• Budget – Finding the right solution for your business whilst keeping your budget.
• Space – Utilizing both floor space and vertical space is essential and will prevent restricted conditions, and allow stock to be visible and easy to identify.
• Weight and Size of Goods – Having the correct load bearing on your racking is crucial for safety. It is also a legal requirement to have load notices on your racking.
• Automation –An automated system is fast, reliable and accurate and reduces human intervention
• Fork Lift Truck - Depending on the racking system, there are a wide variety of fork lift trucks available; for example high bay reach trucks, articulated trucks and double deep trucks……
There are many types of racking systems and it’s important to understand the features and benefits of the systems available as each warehouse has its own unique operational requirements. A system that doesn’t fulfil the entire process of your operations can hinder the overall efficiency of your business.
In brief is a list bellow of different racking systems:
• Standard Pallet Racking – Provides easy access and to stored items and uses wide aisles
• Narrow Aisle Racking – Minimises aisle size whilst allowing high density storage, making the most of roof height
• Drive-in-Racking – Requires access from only one aisle, operating on a first in, last out (FILO) basis.
• Drive Through Racking - Provides access on either side of the bay, so you can use a first in, first out (FIFO) stock rotation system for limited shelf life items.
• Pallet Live Racking - load stock in one aisle and remove it from the next. A first in, first out system (FIFO)
• Powered Mobile Racking - Racking can be moved in sections for easy access. High Density storage, with access to any pallet, but slower than conventional pallet racking
• Cantilever Racking – For heavy, long or irregular sizes goods eg timber, steel chipboard
• Double Deep Racking – Pallets can be stored two deep, halving the number of aisles required
• Shuttle Racking – Carry goods on remote controlled shuttles
If you are unsure on what pallet racking system would work best for your business then Warehouse Systems Limited can help you. With their extensive knowledge and experience the company can advise you on the best solution to meet your storage requirements.
View Storage Solutions: Racking, Shelving, Automation Product Entry View Warehouse Systems Limited Brochure PDF