Standing at 310 metres tall, the Shard London Bridge is an impressive and much anticipated addition to the London skyline. It is over twice the height of the London Eye observation wheel and is now the tallest building in Western Europe.
KONE was specified to produce a suitable elevator system. To maximise efficiency, productivity and safety during the construction process, KONE utilised its state of the art Jump Lift™ solution. The KONE JumpLift is an advanced, self-climbing lift that can be used as an alternative to traditional exterior hoists during the construction process. This was the first time that KONE JumpLift technology had been used in Great Britain.
In addition to KONE’s JumpLift technology, 13 double-deck lifts powered by the energy-efficient KONE EcoDisc® were installed. With two lift cars in the same hoistway, one on top of the other, the amount of floor space needed for lifts is kept to a minimum and the building benefits from significant space savings.
KONE’s double-deck solutions also offer increased traffic handling capacity, a critical factor in high-rise buildings. These lifts, along with the remaining lifts and escalators installed, ensure smooth people flow for this dynamic new London landmark.
• To provide permanent vertical transportation solutions which also enable the efficient flow of people and materials during the construction process
• Maximise space and traffic handling capacity within the building
• Implementation of state of the art JumpLift™ installation methodology
• Optimised project planning and coordination from beginning to end
• Double-deck lifts offer key benefits for high-rise buildings
Shard London Bridge
• Completed: 2012
• Height: 310 m
• Floors: 80
• Total floor area: 54,488 sqm
• 32 lifts, including 13 double-deck lifts
• 10 escalators
• 9 KONE JumpLift™ units during construction
View KONE Lifts Product Entry