The Onyx Apartments on Camley Street in London receive BA Systems' internal and external balustrade as well as bespoke secondary steelwork.
BA Systems went through a pre-contract design engagement with Powell Dobson to overcome some coordination challenges with surrounding trades. United Living then appointed BA Systems to both supply and install the internal and external balustrades.
Their scope of work included:
- B40 frameless glass balustrades to the balconies, winter gardens and roof terraces. This included tinted glass in some areas.
- B20 post and opaque glass privacy screens.
- B40 frameless glass balustrades to the internal mezzanine areas in the commercial units.
- B20 stainless steel post and handrails down the external ramps and steps.
- Ground floor external vertical bar railing balustrade.
- B20 post and glass balustrades to the front of house stairs.
- Post and vertical bar railing balustrade to main access stairs.
- Other metalwork items, including a plant enclosure and cat ladders.
BA Systems also designed a bespoke secondary steel bracket to mount the balustrade channel to. Complete with 2nd fix powder coated aluminium trims to provide a smart finish to the base fixing.
The external balustrade's base fixing needed to coordinate with the construction of the brick wall. Whilst the stone copings had to be installed around the balustrade posts. BA Systems' design team developed a fixing detail to extend through the copings and to be side fixed onto the internal concrete upstand within the wall.