Located in Aldgate, this seven-storey building is the College’s new HQ and provides space for a multitude of purposes, ranging from overnight staff accommodation to state-of-the-art pathology research. With its environmentally efficient design and striking use of concrete and timber throughout, this project has received many accolades including:
• AJ Architecture Awards – Shortlisted, Workplaces (up to 10,000 sqm), 2019.
• Dezeen Awards – Shortlisted, Business Building, 2019.
• New London Awards – Winner, Education, 2019.
• Flush-fronted, full height Maranté WC cubicles in gloss white laminate.
• Digitally printed Glass Maxwall WC duct panels units, using over 20 different microscopic images.
• Floating Xeista Cascade vanity troughs in Glacier White Corian, with integral basins, angled bin chutes and hinged, laminate under-panels.
• Bespoke waste bins attached to vanity panels.
• Prism Mirror Unit above the vanity units.
• Interlayered-glass urinal privacy screen.
“What taxed us the most, despite all the printed glass, was the positioning of the Corian bin chutes. Since the wall-mounted pipework was installed before our vanity brackets, we had to measure the position, diameter and length of every single pipe and then make several bracket types to work around this. The bin chutes then had to fit between all these, whilst of course still being centralised between basins. In the end, the chutes had to be angled forwards, to reach the bins which were fixed to the rear of the hinged vanity panels.” said Joel Owen, Design Manager at Maxwood.
Hannah Fothergill, Architect at Bennetts Associates commented “The team had a really good open-minded approach. Maxwood’s resourceful attitude to sourcing unusual glass for IPS was great and we welcomed the attention to detail taken to make the bin chutes work in the vanity units. Good attention to detail and efficient process of producing and signing off drawings. High quality product and high quality people!”