Tudor Roof Tiles, manufacturer of genuine handmade clay peg and plain tiles with a traditional sand-faced rustic look, is encouraging the use of historically sympathetic clay tiles for the repair and restoration of church roofs.
In its latest downloadable information leaflet, Chapels to Cathedrals the company sets out some of the key issues involved when considering replacement peg and plain tiles in older ecclesiastical properties.
The leaflet covers the importance of traditional manufacturing techniques, the specification of sympathetic tones, texture and camber as well as the importance of using like-for-like bespoke sizes.
As many of our historic ecclesiastical buildings are in urgent need of repair and restoration, it is important not to economise or compromise on good practice when it comes to specifying the most appropriate clay roof tile replacement, said Paul Lythgoe, Managing Director of Tudor Roof Tile Co Ltd.
Carefully chosen and high quality handmade replacement peg and plain tiles with an authentic time weathered appearance can be a more reliable, performance guaranteed alternative to sourcing expensive second hand reclaim tiles, particularly when replacing large sections of a roof.
Tudor uses traditional craftsmanship in order to meticulously re-create the texture, colour and detailing of historic peg and plain tiles. Each tile is hand pressed, moulded and trimmed, and then strengthened by advanced firing techniques in order to give the final product exceptional performance and durability, which is guaranteed for many years to come.
Manufactured in both bespoke and standard sizes to complement historic and regional variations, they are also available with round or square peg holes or with nibs on the underside to suit traditional or modern construction methods.
All Tudor roof tiles are CE marked to EN 1304:2005(E) standards for frost resistance, water impermeability and flexural strength.
For more information on how Tudors range of peg and plain clay tiles can help restore old properties, download the leaflet Chapels to Cathedrals.