With no gaskets, no plastic and no rubber parts, Wallbarn’s non-combustible MetalPad pedestals are the full metal solution for Class A balconies, giving specifiers and contractors a definitive so-lution for meeting new fire regulations and the highest product standards.
Pedestal specialist Wallbarn designed height adjustable MetalPad from scratch to be properly fit for purpose and ensure 100% compliance with updated fire safety standards for suspended pav-ing and decking installations on at-height balconies, terraces, podiums, flat roofs, walkways and roof gardens.
Architects, specifiers and contractors are therefore assured of a fail-safe, non-combustible full metal pedestal solution that is safe, strong, durable and quick/easy to install.
Importantly, MetalPad has no plastic or rubber components, for example plastic headpieces or rubber discs under baseplates. A gap in the building standards which currently allows for these looks set to be closed; Wallbarn considers that rubber or plastic parts labelled as gaskets pose an unacceptable risk because they can contribute to fire load and have no place in a properly de-signed and specified pedestal grid.
To reduce on-site time, Wallbarn has also created a comprehensive Class A substructure system using a profiled rail which clicks onto the pedestal without the need for mechanical fixings. Not only is this quicker, it means no sharp metallic fragments are created by grinding or drilling on the balcony space during construction. A paving headpiece can be fitted to the rail to hold tiles in places at all corners.
MetalPad key features:
• Non-combustible to BS EN 13501-1
• Manufactured from 2mm thick galvanised steel
• Galvanised for long-term exterior performance
• Solid stem and thread for assured strength
• 150mm diameter base plate with smooth underside prevents point loading
• More than 1,000kg loading per pedestal
• Millimetre-precise height adjustment
• Self-levelling headpiece with up to 5% movement in all directions
• Circular base plate ensures adequate weight distribution and proper stability
• Rounded profiles on baseplate and headpiece – no sharp edges
• Drainage holes in baseplate prevent water stagnation
• Fixing holes in baseplate for mechanical fixing if required
• Limit switch on the stem to prevent pedestals unwinding completely
• Heights range from 25mm to 300mm with bespoke headpiece designs for paving slabs or deck-ing
• Comprehensive Class A substructure for tiling and paving using Wallbarn’s pedestal-and-rail connection system.
Fire performance with strength
Croydon-based Wallbarn, which has more than 40 years’ of experience, stuck to the core design principles of its market-leading range of plastic adjustable pedestals during the development of MetalPad – namely large, smooth circular baseplates for weight distribution, strong and stable stems to cope with often unforeseen loadings, fixed and self-levelling headpieces and proper testing and strict adherence to regulations.
Julian Thurbin, Wallbarn Director, said: “Our aim was to replicate in metal the success of our heavy-duty polypropylene pedestals to satisfy the new standards and provide the market with a high-performance product backed by a trusted British supplier.
“We did not opt to adapt existing metal products used, for example, in suspended indoor flooring because we know exterior pedestals have to cope with all the British weather has to throw at them. Specifiers must therefore not only take account of fire safety, they must also be assured that pedestals will not corrode, fail or seize. If stems or baseplates collapse at height it could have tragic consequences,” added Julian.